A 53-year-old suspected serial car thief identified as Sunday Dosunmu has been arrested by men of the Ogun State Police Command.
According to the police spokesperson in the state, Omolola Odutola, the suspect was arrested in Leme, Abeokuta, while trying to remove cars using locally-fabricated skeleton keys.
The police image maker revealed that the suspect had earlier been arrested over a similar offence on September 17, 2022, at Olorunsogo “while trying to steal a car from a park along with his syndicate.”
The alarm was raised on Saturday when he was reportedly sighted near the car, but he fled.
“The young guys gave him a hot chase and caught up with him. They later alerted the police team that visited the scene and arrested the suspect,” Odutola disclosed, adding that “two fabricated iron master keys were found in his possession as part of the instrument used to unlock unsuspecting car owners’ vehicles.”
She said the suspect will be charged in court once the investigation is concluded.
Meanwhile, two persons have been reported dead while one sustained injury in a fatal crash that occurred on Sunday along Eket-Oron road at about 1200hrs, involving a Mitsubishi Bus (L300).
This was contained in a statement signed by Paul James, Public Enlightenment Officer of the Federal Road Safety Corp, Akwa Ibom State, for the Sector Commander, Mathew Olonisaye.
The statement, who said the crash was as a result of over-speeding and route violation, cautioned drivers against reckless driving to avoid further road crashes, especially during this rainy season.
The statement in parts, “A fatal crash occurred on Sunday Aug. 13 along Eket-Oron road at about 1200hrs, involving a Mitsubishi Bus (L300) with registration number JJJ24XB and a Hyundai Accent with registration number JJJ773FQ.
“Two out of the three male adults involved were confirmed dead while one sustained injury.
READ ALSO: Suspect Caught With Skull Gives Reason
“FRSC operatives who arrived at the crash scene, having received a report of the incident, mobilised and moved the injured to a nearby hospital for prompt medical attention, while the deceased were deposited at the morgue.
“It was gathered, upon enquiry, that the causal factors to the crash were speeding and route violation according to eyewitnesses.
“After the immediate evacuation of the victims to hospital, the road was cleared of obstructions to enable free-flow of traffic,” Olonisaye said.
Olonisaye described the crash as an unfortunate incident that could have been avoided if the people had stopped abusing the use of the highways and started obeying traffic rules.
The sector commander said the Corps would continue to sensitise and enlighten motorists on safe road use culture to avert such incidents of road carnage.
He warned all road users against all such actions that tend to undermine the safety of the road users as any life lost cannot be recovered.
The sector commander reiterated the need for safety consciousness among drivers, advising drivers against excessive speeding, distracted driving, night time travel, drunk driving and lack of adherence to traffic signs.
He commiserated with the family of the deceased and wished the injured quick recovery.