Four persons have been dragged before a Federal High Court sitting in Akure, Ondo State, for impersonation and examination malpractices in the examination conducted by the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB).
Three of the defendants allegedly committed the offence of impersonation on February 15, 2023, during the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) at a Computer-Based Test centre located at Aina Awaw International College, Ilu Abo, Akure.
The last defendant, however, committed the said offence on April 28 at Amable Nigeria Limited CBT Centre in Owo, during the 2023 JAMB examination.
The defendants are Timilehin Akinwale, Olayinka Mustapha, Peter Okereke, and Feranmi Adesuyi.
According to the prosecutor, Moses Osimhen, the offences were contrary to Section 3(3)(c) of the Examination Malpractices Act, Cap E15, LFN, 2004 and punishable under the same section.
When the charge was read to them, the defendants pleaded not guilty.
The prosecutor prayed the court to remand the suspects pending the date for the hearing.
The defendants’ counsel, Clement Falana and Austin Agbounghale, pleaded for the court to grant their clients bail, stating that the offences committed by the defendants were bailable.
READ ALSO: How NPF Maltreated Me For Attempting To Resign – Lagos Cop
But the presiding judge, Justice T. B. Adegoke, granting the prosecutor’s plea, ordered the suspects to be remanded at the Olokuta Custodial Centre and adjourned the case till July 12, 2023, for hearing.
In another news, an accident involving a Mitsubishi commercial bus has claimed two lives and injured three others in the Alakia area of the Ibadan-Ife expressway.
It was gathered that the accident happened around 5.45am on Wednesday.
The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) Sector Commander in Oyo State, Joshua Adekanye, confirmed the incident in Ibadan.
Adekanye said the commercial bus with registration number YY 485 AAA, failed to break and rammed into a barrier created by a road construction company in the Alakia area.
He said five people were involved in the accident comprising four males and one female.
The sector commander further said two male adults lost their lives in the accident while two others and a female were injured.
He said the remains of the deceased had been collected by their relatives for burial while the injured were taken to the hospital before the arrival of FRSC personnel.
Adekanye called on motorists to always ensure their vehicles are in good condition before embarking on any journey and avoid speeding.